Here’s my recipe for Duck Scotch eggs with chilli & coriander sausage meat. It’s a crowd pleaser! Follow the recipe and you’ll have hot, tasty sausage meat coating a creamy egg with a glowing yellow runny yolk. The breadcrumbs will be golden and you’ll have that pleasing crunch when bitten into. Enjoy!
- Duck egg(s)
- 275g/10oz sausage meat (I used pork and herb sausages – already seasoned with white pepper and black pepper)
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- 1 spring onion, very finely chopped
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Chilli flakes
- 125g/4oz plain flour, seasoned with salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 free-range egg, beaten
- 125g/4oz breadcrumbs (I used Paxo Golden Breadcrumbs)
- Vegetable oil, for deep frying
- Place the eggs (still in their shells) in a pan of cold salted water.
- Place over a high heat and bring to the boil, then reduce the heat to simmer for exactly nine minutes.
- Drain and cool the eggs under cold running water, then peel. This is always the tricky part, and takes me the longest.
- Mix the sausage meat with parsley, spring onion and add some chilli flakes in a bowl. Season well with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Divide the sausage meat mixture into four and flatten each (like thin burgers) on a clean surface (about 12.5cm/5in long and 7.5cm/3in).
- Place the seasoned flour onto a plate, then dredge each boiled egg in the flour. This will help the sausage meat stick to the egg
- Place an egg on each of the sausage ovals, then wrap the sausage meat around each egg. Make sure the coating is smooth and completely covers each egg. Sometimes it helps to add more sausage meat and pinch together with your finger tips.
- Dip each sausage meat-coated egg in the beaten egg, rolling to coat completely, then dip and roll into the breadcrumbs to completely cover.
- Heat the oil in a deep heavy-bottomed pan. Test if ready by dropping in a pinch of breadcrumbs, and they should sizzle and turn brown. (CAUTION: hot oil can be dangerous. Do not leave unattended.)
- Carefully place each scotch egg into the hot oil and deep-fry for 8-10 minutes, until golden and crisp and the sausage meat is completely cooked.
- Carefully remove from the oil with a slotted spoon and drain on kitchen paper.
- Leave for a minute and serve cool.